Diamond Diaries

Cardinal baseball, from the girls

“You know…. I’m really okay with this”

“You know, I’m really okay with this.”

Yep, that was my shrug of a reaction upon hearing that Albert Pujols, “the greatest player in baseball,” accepted an offer from the Anaheim Angels for somewhere near $250 million for 10 years.  That’s BIG money. Huge. Ginormous.

Good for Albert, getting the $$$’s to match his reputation.  His legacy?  Well, I guess that’s not such a game changer anymore.  Pujols snagged his mega contract AND a ten-year NO TRADE CLAUSE (reportedly).   That No Trade Clause issue was rumored to be the deal breaker between Pujols and the Marlins on Tuesday.  So, there was some writing on the wall to warn us that Mr. Pujols was seriously moving beyond just testing other waters.

John Mozeliak should be commended. Sure, the “best player in baseball” left the building on his watch, but I fully expect history to look favorably on ol’ Mo here.  He didn’t sink the ship to save the aging treasure chest.

This little corner of Cardinal Nation (well, ok, maybe just me) hasn’t shed a tear.  I’m not going to riot or rant.  Heck, honestly I’m not even really disappointed in Albert.  He got a heck of an offer and he took it.

Today we were just reminded that baseball really is a business.  Lance Berkman’s words have been stuck in my head all week: “It’s always about money. No matter what people say, it’s always about the money.”

Well now, Lance…. How do you feel about scootching on up to first base for 2012? OK? Thanks!

Moving on feels great actually.  We can finally kiss all those “will he/won’t he” debates goodbye and look forward to 2012 which may just turn out to be the best flip of the apple cart that baseball has seen in a while.

Thank you, Mo!

13 responses to ““You know…. I’m really okay with this”

1. SueL December 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I’m not sure I think he’s an ANGEL for doing this….but am trying to get my head and heart around the fact that this is strictly business. So many fans will be so disappointed that he didn’t stay for the love of the team since he was offered $200 million or so at St Louis. When you could make that kind of insane money by staying ….why would you HAVE to leave?

2. mlblogsrbf December 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Baseball may be a business..as all sports are. They need to be to pay salaries. But, Albert’s wasn’t a “business” decision. It was a decision based on greed. Which he implied he was above being the typical greedy athlete. So, yeah…I’m pissed at albert for “lying” to the fans and pissed a little at the Cards for not signing him to a long term contract a few years ago. For what its worth, last podcast tonite as I said I would boycott and not podcast for at least a year if the Cards didn’t keep AP.

3. Rex Hamann December 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Nicely put. I was sure Albert would stay in Saint Loo but even the exalted AP is not immune to the sickening effects of being bought. As a Brewers fan I’ve been wresting with the whole debacle of whether we’ll lose Fielder, but that was pretty much a given early on. These guys don’t owe their respective teams a thing, apparently, and this lack of loyalty really does muddy the waters for fans like me who still cling to the romantic notion that they are somehow symbiotic with whatever club their on at the moment. I know it’s unrealistic to think that, but I still do, I guess I’ll always have a little boy inside whose rancor will simply never be quelled when confronted with abandonment.

• Angela W December 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Great point, Rex. I lived up in the Milwaukee area last year and honestly, it made me sick seeing how Prince acted at the NLCS. I was surprised to see that he didn’t even really acknowledge the fans that have been behind him 100% his whole career. Consider it the first time my heart went out to Brewer fans! ;)

That said, I have that romantic notion too. I wanted Albert to be one of the legends that spent his career with the same team. Now he’s just another superstar that went for the big paycheck. C’est la vie…

• Rex Hamann December 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Thanks Angela, good to hear from another person who left Milwaukee after a time. I’ve been a Brewers fan all my life and just like with the Cubs, Brewers fans really are a long-suffering lot. I predict we don’t win another post-season berth for at least three more years. I like how our bullpen is shaping up again, but without Fielder’s big bat, Braun’s power could be nullified. The Cards will have a great former Brewer at the helm, I always was big on Matheny (I always called him Mad Man, mainly because of his initials) and the team always seems to have so many strengths. I like them again in ’12. And I LOVE that they play outdoors. Miller Park is fine (I watched it being built, but then moved in ’99) but it’s essentially an arena and they don’t leave the roof open near enough.

• Angela W December 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I was surprised how many games I went to where they closed the roof for basically no reason as well. I kind of felt like the Crew went all-in this past year and are due to take a (albeit small for this year) step back in 2012. I could very well be wrong and I hope that I am, since I do enjoy having good rivalries in the division.

I guess that’s why they don’t play the games on paper!

4. jimmy December 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM

great post. i agree

5. BrodyBroshears December 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

My wife and I had this conversation last night, and I am in total agreement!!!

6. fearlessleader December 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I admit it: I’m bereft, and the pain is made much, much worse by the fact that I live in Orange County and am surrounded by gleeful, faux-sympathetic Angel fans. (They inspired me to write a post: http://ablogoftheirown.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/what-not-to-say-to-cardinal-fans-today/)

It wouldn’t have made any sense to give Pujols a quarter of a billion (!!!) dollars over the next decade. But it doesn’t make any sense to see him in an Angels uniform, either.

• Erika Lynn December 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Love your post today: What not to say to Cardinal fans. So much truth. They should just buy us a drink or some chocolate. We’ll be fine by Spring Training…. ;)

• Rex Hamann December 8, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Knowing what a huge Cardinals fan you are, I’m not at all surprised that you would be so completely bummed as to need either a stiff drink or about a pound of dark chocolate, and yes, the sadness will pass, and you’ll still be an Albert fan, but it will always be tough. Losing a hero like Pujols is just hard for the brain and soul to comprehend. You guys have so many stellar gamers like Freese who will carry your team a long way next year, and I look forward to it, hoping possible to hit a game in St. Loo next year as well, in the sunshine where the game is supposed to be played, not in some damned roofed arena.

7. Pingback: The UCB’s “Too Soon” Attempt at Pujols Nostalgia « Diamond Diaries